A valuable role to play
By Danny Alexander - Chief Secretary to the Treasury
Originally published by East Midlands Liberal Democrats
Two and a half years ago our Party faced its biggest tests for generations - to put political differences aside, to demonstrate that Coalitions could work, and that the Liberal Democrats had a credible and valuable role to play in Government.
At that Special Conference in Birmingham back in May 2010, we all debated and signed up to a Coalition Agreement that would not just repair and restore our economy, but also deliver many of the radical reforms we set out in our manifesto.
The Coalition Agreement was a plan to be proud of - and one that we are delivering, as today's publication of the Mid-Term Review shows.
There is still a lot to be done, but as Liberal Democrats we should be proud of the steps we have taken in Government so far:
- To help build a stronger economy - with more than a million private sector jobs created over the last two years
- To rebalance the tax system - by increasing the personal allowance by nearly £600 and cracking down on avoidance
- To create a £2.5bn Pupil Premium - that is helping give every child a fair start in life
- To support apprenticeships - with nearly a million starts so far this Parliament
- To deliver the biggest ever cash rise in the state pension
- To create a Green Investment Bank with £3bn of funding to promote investment in green technology
Despite having to take tough decisions to tackle the economic mess left to us by Labour, Liberal Democrats in government are building a stronger economy in a fairer society - enabling every person to get on in life.
But we remain ambitious to go further and do more. And where we are in agreement with the Conservatives we will seek to make swift progress in this Parliament - to give older people dignity in their later years, to improve support for working families with their childcare costs and to make sure as a country we have enough houses to meet our needs.
There will be more detail about this over the next few weeks. But if you want to judge for yourself the progress that we are making - that Coalition Government is making, take a look at the report here.
PS The Party's Day of Action on 9 February is an excellent opportunity to promote on the doorstep what we are achieving in Government. Please be sure your local Party is taking part or sign up as an individual here.